• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
In Defense of TNT Duplication
I'll chime in. shankled mentioned this:
3) We have rules that have been decided on over years of tests and running this server...

The rules as they are have been carefully crafted with the years of experience we have running Vanilla High. Experiencing the server from a player perspective is very different from running it. If we wanted to allow some forms of duping, we would have already had a lengthy discussion about it among staff and allowed if if we believed it was essential.

Players have dug out large areas of land (Cylinder Project, Cucumber Deep etc) without using duplicated TNT but doing it manually with picks and beacons. There's no reason you cannot go this route.
[Image: bV0FmTp.jpg]
(10-10-2020, 12:54 PM)CubeStealer Wrote: I'll chime in. shankled mentioned this:
3) We have rules that have been decided on over years of tests and running this server...

The rules as they are have been carefully crafted with the years of experience we have running Vanilla High. Experiencing the server from a player perspective is very different from running it. If we wanted to allow some forms of duping, we would have already had a lengthy discussion about it among staff and allowed if if we believed it was essential.

Players have dug out large areas of land (Cylinder Project, Cucumber Deep etc) without using duplicated TNT but doing it manually with picks and beacons. There's no reason you cannot go this route.
Hello everyone,
It is most likely that this will be my final post on this topic, as it appears unlikely that I will ever be able to get a response that addresses what exactly is wrong with the duplication of tnt itself, when not considered along other forms of duplication. TNT duplication is the activation of a tnt block while exploiting a glitch that allows the block to remain in place.
It appears that some people confuse this with the idea of duplicating the tnt in its item form, which is not what I am dealing with here.

I completely fail to understand how the use of tnt duplication alone could have strong negative effects on the player economy, and as I said previously, I would welcome a response explaining in non-vague terms what the supposed negative effects are.
However, it seems unlikely that I will receive a response in that vein.

My goal in starting this thread was to have a discussion about tnt duplication and the rule surrounding it, in the hope of, at the very least, gaining a concrete understanding as to why one might oppose it.
Instead, I got responses condemning me for bringing it up, and mentions of vague negative consequences brought about by the allowing of it.

My intention was to give a detailed refutation of CubeStealer's claim that "there is no reason" that I cannot dig a perimeter out by hand. That reason, in my case, is that I do not have a limitless amount of time on my hands. I will not, in the interest of post length.

On that note, I will end this here. There is absolutely no reason for me to continue to argue this case.

If someone wishes to provide a concrete explanation behind the outlawing of TNT duping, with actual examples of the negative effects mentioned, I would welcome it.
Otherwise, I have nothing left to say, except that I regret having completely wasted my time carefully crafting arguments to support a legitimate point, when no one who disagreed with me was willing to so much as try to respond in kind.
Goodbye.
(10-11-2020, 09:40 PM)FrodobagginsTNT Wrote: Hello everyone,
It is most likely that this will be my final post on this topic, as it appears unlikely that I will ever be able to get a response that addresses what exactly is wrong with the duplication of tnt itself, when not considered along other forms of duplication. TNT duplication is the activation of a tnt block while exploiting a glitch that allows the block to remain in place.
It appears that some people confuse this with the idea of duplicating the tnt in its item form, which is not what I am dealing with here.
Exploitation of glitches such as duplicating any falling entity block, breaking bedrock, or other form of exploit is just that, an exploit. An unintended mechanic in the game that gives the user doing it a significant advantage. Exploitation on Vanilla High is not allowed, for this rule and the rule of no duplication, that is the reason why TNT duping is not allowed.
And if you'd like to know how it would effect the server's economy, it could very easily dissuade people from buying more gunpowder for making TNT legitimately, as they would just be able to dupe it if it was allowed, thus not needing to buy or produce gunpowder. In this game, progress is earned. Everyone who has played on this server and made big projects, has done so without exploits, duping, or cheating of any kind. Every block placed by hand, every hole dug with many pickaxes. Even if it became allowed, which it will not, it would devalue the work other players have done to create things without such exploits.
I read your post but as VHStaff just stated, exploitation of unintended glitches is prohibited by the rules. The reasons are this simple:

1. Any type of duplication means those products will now have no value (in this case you will not be buying/trading for gunpowder, sand, or tnt) therefore ruining the market for these items and the farms that people make for gunpowder. To many of our long term players this would be considered cheating as they are here for the vanilla experience.

2. Changing rules mid-map is always a terrible idea because it undermines all the hard work other players have done. Every version has a new glitch or a fixed one and VH continues to run the same map as long as there are no significant game changes. Therefore, rules cannot be changed mid-map. (Unless there are emergency reasons).

I am sure I could state more but I think #2 is enough of a reason.

Your discussion is not a waste of time. I am certain there have been other who have wondered the same thing and you should never be afraid to post your thoughts or questions. Just be prepared for the answer to swing either way.
[Image: Kimber_Boh.png]
Staff said no so it's not allowed.
Also lag.
ur welcome
tnt dupers are a feature even when they removed them they readded them