• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Market Ender-porter
TLDR: I'm considering building a huge new ender-porter for Big Market atop the hill across the river. Check out the screenshots and let me know what you think! Smile

Hi Friends!

I've noticed that Big Market's current pearl station is running out of space. I love gadgets and contraptions so building a larger version sounds like a fun project to me, but I wanted to get some feedback before launching in.

ChickenBird6 already created another small pearl station that uses a lectern as a selector system. I think this is a neat design, and lecterns can make for a really elegant UI, so this was my jumping-off point.

I've laid out a floor plan in creative, and it's a BIG project.
Please note that these images are just a floor plan. We would obviously want to build a grand structure (maybe not using so much quartz though).

This design has four "cells" each containing fifteen pearl chambers. We will have space for up to 60 individual players. Each cell is color coded and controlled by one lectern. This effectively means that every player will have a unique address within the system.  For example, in the screenshot of the selector book my address would be "Blue 7"

The overall footprint of the build would be 66 long by 33 wide. I'm imagining putting it atop the hill across the river from the Market. I've marked the spot with a little torch tower and would appreciate it if folks could confirm that the space is available.

The redstone is designed to connect to each chamber via a redstone torch tower so the circuits can be buried far out of sight. I estimate needing an additional 30 to 40 blocks of underground depth for redstone.
Check out this silly little cross-section. Tongue

Ok, let's talk pros and cons

Pros:
-Lots of space
-Elegant UI
-Grand entrance to the Market

Cons:
-Lots of space: The footprint is pretty massive. It might smother nearby builds, and it makes walking to the market from your chamber take longer. Beacons and soul soil will be necessary.

-Time and resource intensive: Burnout is a risk when undertaking a project of this scale. I would like to complete it in two phases. One for redstone and functionality and another for the structure and decoration. (If anyone else is interested in the second part you are most definitely welcome!)

-Elegant UI: In order for the selector system to scroll and look really good, players will need to copy-paste their name onto every page of the book. I'm pretty happy working to maintain this aspect but I can't guarantee I'll always be the most diligent.

I think that's all I've got. Please let me know what you think!!!
I could be wrong but it looks like it would put some serious lag on the server. 
Any opinions on that from other players?
(01-05-2023, 01:44 AM)ToastyCheeseLad Wrote: I could be wrong but it looks like it would put some serious lag on the server. 
Any opinions on that from other players?

Lag is definitely an important concern and something I hadn't considered. I would also like to hear from other players what they think about this!

My initial thought is that it shouldn't cause any lag when not in use. There aren't any redstone clocks or circuits that will be running continuously. When in use, flipping the pages in the books will change the signal strength coming out of a comparator, and when the button is pressed that signal gets passed along to the particular chamber to flip the trap door. When not in use it should be totally inert.

I imagine that calculating the trajectory of 60 hovering ender pearls every tick does actually cause a little lag but probably not a significant amount. And hovering ender pearls are kinda intrinsic to any design.

Please weigh in on this! Lag is likely the single most important consideration.