• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anything be done about the lag?
I get that its probably more complicated than "just download more ram" but when it takes 20 seconds to eat a carrot and I have to mine the same iron vein 6 times to actually get through it, it becomes increasingly more annoying to play on this server. I follow the recommended loaded entity limit by a large margin and I personally don't have any large auto farms (not that i wish to discourage the construction of those but I know they contribute to the problem) but the lag on this server makes me want to avoid voting in fear of adding more people into the 'lag soup'. I see people complain about it in chat constantly aswell and its not like its only a problem around peak hours. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by the whole community if something could be done about this quite major issue.
Hi Emorist. I am sorry about the lag. The underlying reason is that Vanilla High runs the unoptimized version of what we call the "jar" . This is the reference "game engine" as published my Mojang and it has the reputation of being very laggy when the number of players starts spiking.
[Image: bV0FmTp.jpg]
I got it! just set the player count to 0! with no players there's no way the server can lag! problem solved!
If vanilla game play upsets you to the point you recommend we shut down the server, then perhaps this is not the place for you.

Vanilla Minecraft is a choice and it is one you are not forced to make. There are many non-vanilla servers with all the glory and speed you are after.

Our server specifications are strong enough to do what we have plus more. Unfortunately Mojang have patched their code year after year and performance has deteriorated because of this. Along with this issue more and more is being added to the core of the game with each release. So performance again is reduced.

The minecraft.jar we use to be classed as vanilla does not use multithreading and only uses a single core of the server CPU. When spigot, fabric etc are used this allows the use of multiple cores and each plugin shares the load.

With this in mind vanilla is what it is and it is not for everyone. There are die hard vanilla players here who are beginning to feel the strain and it will get worse. Vanilla as a whole is on borrowed time and will eventually be unplayable unless Mojang do some major changes.

Over time a new server seems to settle as player count drops and people stop exploring and loading new chunks.

Having said that, you are always welcome to player here. But saying we should set the player count to zero is a fairly low blow to the server and the staff who put a lot of time into keeping this server running asking nothing in return.
[Image: Carl_71.png]
(12-31-2021, 11:34 AM)Carl_71 Wrote: If vanilla game play upsets you to the point you recommend we shut down the server, then perhaps this is not the place for you.

Vanilla Minecraft is a choice and it is one you are not forced to make. There are many non-vanilla servers with all the glory and speed you are after.

Our server specifications are strong enough to do what we have plus more. Unfortunately Mojang have patched their code year after year and performance has deteriorated because of this.  Along with this issue more and more is being added to the core of the game with each release. So performance again is reduced.

The minecraft.jar we use to be classed as vanilla does not use multithreading and only uses a single core of the server CPU.  When spigot, fabric etc are used this allows the use of multiple cores and each plugin shares the load.

With this in mind vanilla is what it is and it is not for everyone. There are die hard vanilla players here who are beginning to feel the strain and it will get worse. Vanilla as a whole is on borrowed time and will eventually be unplayable unless Mojang do some major changes.

Over time a new server seems to settle as player count drops and people stop exploring and loading new chunks.

Having said that, you are always welcome to player here. But saying we should set the player count to zero is a fairly low blow to the server and the staff who put a lot of time into keeping this server running asking nothing in return.

Honestly, I am fine with the lag I've been working mostly within my player perimeter and have noticed everything is slowly but surely heading back to the way it was last server. 

Just a question, is it possible to have the server CPU switched out with a super strong single core processor? 

Regardless I'm completely fine with how it is now, if anything the lag brings us closer to friendship and communication. Think of people that can talk about sports like it's nothing, same thing different genre.

But yeah, I still want to play as long as I can (forever, since I'm going to invent immortality).
MYTHRIL EMPIRE'S KING [Image: ShadowMonkeyKing.png]
The current server has a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X processor. The next tier is AMD Ryzen 7 5800X but it costs too much monthly to be financially viable for VH. We do not sell perks for real money and appreciate every dollar that VH players contribute to keep the server up and running. I think it is best to deal with the lag for now.
(01-01-2022, 10:00 AM)CubeStealer Wrote: The current server has a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X processor. The next tier is AMD Ryzen 7 5800X but it costs too much monthly to be financially viable for VH. We do not sell perks for real money and appreciate every dollar that VH players contribute to keep the server up and running. I think it is best to deal with the lag for now.

No worries at all, how much would the upgrade cost though?
https://us.ovhcloud.com/bare-metal/game/prices/
We have the Game-2-LE
(01-01-2022, 10:33 AM)CubeStealer Wrote: https://us.ovhcloud.com/bare-metal/game/prices/
We have the Game-2-LE

I can handle (56.80) for the long term the main reason being it would slightly increase the performance of the game and I'm interested in having a good time with everyone and you server owners deserve it anyway. So I'll start now, and then whenever you feel it's financially viable there would be no loss on either end. This makes me happy to help.
(01-01-2022, 10:33 AM)CubeStealer Wrote: https://us.ovhcloud.com/bare-metal/game/prices/
We have the Game-2-LE

Looks like we can come thru lmao (that's the exact amount btw o.o) whenever you're ready c:

[attachment=3284]